EXPERIENCE NORTH WALSHAM TAXIS | POSH CRYSTAL CABS
YOU CAN TRUST NORTH WALSHAM TAXIS | POSH CRYSTAL CABS
When you are in need of a Cab in the North Walsham area, look no further than the experts at Crystal Cabs North Walsham taxis We do Local runs taxi service to help you get you to your destination. Whether you want a lift to the shops, or a lift home at 3 in the morning, we can help you out.
We will transfer from any UK destination to any UK destination in England, Scotland and Wales, North walsham taxis covering all UK destinations & airports in the British Isles; we also provide local and short journeys here in North Norfolk.
All our drivers have excellent knowledge of North Norfolk and surrounding areas, also all drivers have gone through vigorous police checks and have CRB certificates to obtain their hackney carriage badges from N.N.D.C .Emailcrystalcabs31@gmail.com
we also provide local and short journeys here in North Norfolk. Please Ring us on 01692 400880
posh crystal cabs we will transfer from any UK destination to any UK destination in England, Scotland and Wales, covering all UK destinations & airports and sea ports in the British Isles; UK SEAPORTS Southampton , Portsmouth, Dover, Harwich, Tilbury, London , Newcastle and Liverpool. we also provide local and short journeys here in Norfolk. Please Ring us on 01692 400880 or 07760777863 .ALL towns and cities and the major UK airports, such as London Gatwick airport, London Heathrow airport, London Stansted airport, London Luton airport, Manchester airport, Edinburgh airport Liverpool airport and many, many more. please allow 2 hours on top of journey AT A REASONABLE PRICE
North Walsham railway station (formerly known as North Walsham Main) is on the Bittern Line in Norfolk, England, serving the town of North Walsham. It is 16 miles (26 km) down the line from Norwich, between Worstead to the south and Gunton to the north.
The station is managed by Greater Anglia, which also operates all passenger trains that call.
Historically, the town was served by two adjacent railway stations; this existing station dating from 1874 served the Great Eastern Railway from Norwich to Cromer High, while a nearby station named North Walsham Town served the former lines to Melton Constable (either via Aylsham or via Mundesley-on-Sea and Sheringham) and Great Yarmouth (via Potter Heigham). North Walsham Town closed on 28 February 1959, with the "Main" station renamed simply "North Walsham".
In 2010 the station signs were changed to read "North Walsham, home of Paston College".
The station is the site of the only passing loop on the route (although trains can also pass in the station at Cromer), which has been worked remotely from Norwich since the line was re-signalled in 2000. The station goods yard, meanwhile, is the last operational freight location on the line; GB Railfreight dispatches regular bulk trainloads of petrochemicals (gas condensate piped in from various offshore North Sea gas fields) from here to Harwich International. Aggregate traffic (in the form of spent railway ballast) has also been handled here in the past.
North Walsham, an Anglo-Saxon settlement, and the neighbouring village of Worstead became very prosperous from the 12th century through the arrival of weavers from Flanders. The two settlements gave their names to the textiles they produced: "Walsham" became the name of a light-weight cloth for summer wear, and "Worsted" a heavier cloth. The 14th century "wool churches" are a testament to the prosperity of the local mill owners. North Walsham's church of St. Nicholas was originally dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and is one of the UK's largest parish churches. It was also the site of a wayside shrine to St. Thomas of Canterbury. This church had the second-tallest steeple in Norfolk until its collapse in 1724. Plans for its rebuilding were abandoned at the outbreak of the Second World War. The ruined tower dominates the town centre and is a famous landmark of the area, visible from many miles away. In the parish church of St. Nicholas can be found the ornate tomb of Sir William Paston; the remains of medieval painted screens; a telescopic Gothic font canopy; a unique Royal Arms Board; an ancient iron bound chest; and many other ancient artifacts.
North Walsham was involved in the Peasants' Revolt of 1381. The peasants' leaders were defeated at the Battle of North Walsham and the site is marked by a wayside stone near the town's water towers.
The English naval hero, Horatio Nelson and his brother William were educated at Paston Grammar School in North Walsham, founded by Sir William Paston (of Paston Letters fame) in 1606. Nelson left the school to start his naval career at the age of eleven. The school became Paston College in 1984.
As part of the millennium celebrations, ten mosaics were commissioned, showing scenes from local history, including the Peasants' Revolt and the Great Fire of North Walsham and a picture of a Norfolk wherry – an allusion to the canal.
During World War II a North Walsham man lost his life when his Royal Air Force training airplane crashed in the United States. Local residents living near the site, in the State of Oklahoma, erected a monument in 2000 honoring the lives of all four RAF fliers who perished. The residents, who include Choctaw Native American People and the Choctaw Nation government, continue honoring the lives of all four on each anniversary of the crashes, which took place in February 1943.
North Walsham Picturedrome opened in King Arms Street around 1912 and survived until around September 1931. In 1931 the Regal Cinema opened in New Road and was open until 1979. When the Regal closed the building was turned into a Vauxhall car dealership and later a Plant hire business, but in 2018 was knocked down to make room for housing. 32 years later, North Walsham now has a cinema once again, in the form of the Atrium which opened in 2011. The Atrium is a state-of-the-art theatre and cinema with regular screenings and special events around the films.
The Great Fire of North Walsham took place on 25 June 1600. It began at six o'clock in the morning from a house occupied by a person with the surname of Dowle. Dowle subsequently fled and was captured and placed in gaol. The fire was devastating and destroyed one hundred and eighteen homes, seventy shops, the market cross and market stalls. Although the church caught fire in five places it remained mostly unharmed and provided shelter for the people whilst the town was rebuilt
posh crystal cabs can provide transfers from your home or business to any airport in the .whole of the UK, Posh Crystal cabs North Walsham taxis Aylsham taxis are a Norfolk based Cab company and specialise in Transfers to and from
HEATHROW GATWICK LUTON STANSTED LIVERPOOL MANCHESTER NORWICH SOUTHEND to any UK destination in England, Scotland and Wales, covering all UK destinations & airports and sea ports in the British Isles; we also provide local and short journeys here in North Norfolk. Please Ring us on 01692 400880 or 07760777863
Whether you are heading off for that well earned holiday or you are arriving into the UK please allow 2 hours on top of journey AT A REASONABLE PRICE
IThe North Walsham and Dilham Canal is a waterway in the English county of Norfolk. It was authorised by Parliament in 1812, but work on the construction of a canal which ran parallel to a branch of the River Ant did not start until 1825. It included six locks, which were sized to accommodate wherries, and was officially opened in August 1826. It was 8.7 miles (14.0 km) long and ran from two bone mills at Antingham to a junction with the River Ant at Smallburgh. It carried offal for the bone mills and agricultural products, as it proved cheaper to land coal on the beach at Mundesley and cart it overland than to use the canal.
The venture was not a commercial success, and it was sold to various millers, who owned watermills along its length. The section above Swafield locks was abandoned in 1893, and from 1922 it was owned by the North Walsham Canal Company, set up by Edward Cubitt and George Walker, who were mill owners. The last commercial use of the canal was in 1934, and it avoided nationalisation in 1948. With the dawning of the leisure age, the canal was seen as an easy one to restore, but work to do so did not start until 2000, when the East Anglian Waterways Association (EAWA) started to run working parties for volunteers. In 2008 the North Walsham and Dilham Canal Trust was formed, and jointly run working parties with the EAWA. In 2009, part of the canal was sold to the Old Canal Company, who have worked to restore two locks and the pounds in between, in order to run Bacton Wood Mill as a watermill. Rewatering was interrupted by the Environment Agency issuing a stop notice in April 2012, but negotiations continue.
The canal served six mills, located along its banks, including the two bone mills at Antingham. There has been a mill at Bacton Wood since the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, and much of the present building dates from 1747. It was the home of Sir William Cubitt, who invented the self-regulating windmill sail and the prison treadmill. Since the millpond at Ebridge has been cleared and rewatered by volunteers, there has been a significant increase in the types of wildlife observed at the location. The area through which the canal flows is at risk of flooding, and this is mitigated by the actions of the Broads Internal Drainage Board, who manage drains and ditches in the upper regions, and have two pumping stations which pump water into the canal at its lower end.
The River Ant was navigable to Dilham prior to 1810, when consideration was given to extending navigation northwards along the course of the river. Plans were drawn up by William Youard and John Millington in 1811 and it was one of Millington's two plan that formed the basis of a bill presented to Parliament in early 1812. It was opposed by the inhabitants of Worstead and Dilham, who feared that their businesses would collapse if boats could reach North Walsham, but the navigation was nevertheless authorised by an Act of Parliament dated 5 May 1812 which created the Company of Proprietors of the North Walsham and Dilham Canal Navigation. They had powers to raise £30,000 by the issuing of shares, and a further £10,000 if required, either from shares or by mortgage Work on the construction of the canal did not start until 1825 with some of the delays caused by a claim for damages made by Issac Harris Lewis, who owned his own staithe at Dilham and felt that the new canal would damage his trade. His case was heard in April 1825 and he was awarded £1,500 in compensation. Work began in the same month, employing 100 men from Bedfordshire.
The canal was designed by John Millington, who acted as engineer for the project, although the actual construction was carried out by Thomas Hughes, who had previously worked on the construction of the Caledonian Canal, the Dingwall Canal and the Union Canal, all in Scotland. Millington came from Hammersmith in London. The North Walsham and Dilham Canal was his only canal-building venture. Later in his career he went to the United States of America and wrote ''Elements of Civil Engineering'' which includes much information on canal building.
Although the line of the canal ran broadly parallel to a branch of the River Ant it did not occupy the river bed, and so was technically a canal and not a river navigation. The route required six locks to raise the level by 58 feet (18 m) along its 8.2-mile (13.2 km) length. The locks were sized for wherries, which were 50 by 12.3 feet (15.2 by 3.7 m). Vessels were able to reach Cubitt's Mill by 14 June 1826 and the canal was formally opened on 29 August 1826. The water supply for the canal came from the ponds at Antingham, but the link into the ponds could only be used by small lighters, as it was not deep enough to be used by wherries. Consequently, they used a basin next to Antingham Mills. Tolls on all cargoes using the canal were collected at Tonnage Bridge, where there was once a wharf and a cottage
The main use of the canal was to carry offal to the two Antingham Bone Mills, although other cargoes were carried such as manure, flour, grain, coal and farm produce. A profitable trade in coal did not develop, as the tolls were too high and it was cheaper for coal to be brought down the coast from the north east and landed on the beach near Bacton or Mundesley, from where it would reach North Walsham by cart. Later, the railways handled most of the coal traffic. Most of the vessels using the canal were wherries, which had a draught of 3 feet (0.91 m) and were capable of carrying between 18 and 20 tons. Some wherries were of a slip-keel design, where the keel of a loaded boat could be unbolted from the bottom of the vessel while it was afloat, in order to negotiate the shallow waters of the canal.
NORTH WALSHAM TAXIS OUR SERVICE
North Walsham Taxis | posh crystal cabs we will transfer from any UK destination
in England, Scotland and Wales, covering all UK
North Walsham Taxis | posh crystal cabs can provide transfers from your home or business to any airport in the uk
When you are in need of a Cab in the Aylsham area, look no
Fiddler's Dram Day Trip To Bangor
Queen - We Will Rock You
Strawbs - Part Of The Union
ELO - Don't Bring Me Down
Status Quo: Whatever you want